Monday, April 26, 2010

What It Has Become

It started with a small front yard which looked simply awful.

From Porch

We did a lot of digging and hauling… things looked much worse for a while.

Cardboard

Then they started to look better.

Photobucket

We added plants and water.

Photobucket

Then, and really this is the most important thing, I added time.

This is what it has become in just under two years:

Spring10-01

Spring10-02

This…

Photobucket

has become this:

Spring10-03

This…

Photobucket

has turned into this:

Spring10-05

Spring10-06

A leftover chunk of Creeping Jenny has become a lush carpet.

Spring10-07

One lone maroon columbine and a couple of pots of violas have naturalized and spread with great abandon.

Spring10-08

And there is this smiling face to watch it all.

Spring10-10

13 comments:

~RaenWa~ said...

Your front yard is beautiful I love the variety of plants with the mix of colors.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Shan said...

Wow, that is just BEAUTIFUL! You've done an amazing job. Patience is everything when you're growing stuff!

KT said...

You are a true artist. I love it!

AlisonH said...

Oh, very nice! (There's hope! Thank you for the inspiration!)

knitseashore said...

Thank you for posting this! It is very inspirational to me, as my garden looks like your "during" photos at the moment. Things do grow fast when you are not watching them 24/7, right?! :)

Rose Red said...

It's great to look back on the progress of a garden isn't it. We just started to "renovate" our front yard this weekend too - I hope it is as successful as yours.

Donna Lee said...

You remembered the most important part-time. Most plants have to grow into their space. You created a beautiful space out of a plain patch of green. It's lovely.

Alwen said...

Beautiful. I'm a sucker for columbines.

Gidgetknits said...

I love the purple moon face in the paving stone! Marvellous.

essjay said...

So lovely - all the hard work is paying off! I hope to get my hands a little dirty later this summer to spruce up our tiny garden a bit. Thanks for some inspiration!

Janel Laidman said...

Oh, it looks so lovely, you're inspiring me to get out there and garden!

Chandler said...

Wow, beautiful! We've been trying to think of alternatives to grass for when we buy a house (mowing is an exercise in futility, after all), and I love your Creeping Jenny!