Monday, May 24, 2010

Once More With Shoulders

I knit lots of baby things. You all know this. Mostly sweaters, with the occasional hat and a couple pairs of booties thrown in.

Every baby should have something hand-made to grow into. Something made with them in mind. Something full of hope and promise.

Pretty buttons are good, and so is lace. If you can work them both into a single garment, you’re golden.

My darling Paddington bear gets lots of face-time here. He’s the only thing in the house that is vaguely baby-shaped, and he’s just as cute as can be.

He does have one small drawback, however, which I believe I’ve mentioned. He’s got no shoulders.

So I’m always delighted to get e-mail attachments like this one:

RedFBS-06

That’s the February Baby Sweater I gave away in January, being shown off to great effect by its new owner. Will you just look at the shoulders on that wee girl! Not to mention those long elegant fingers.

What a beauty.

Just in case the feelings get lost in my sarcasm, pictures like that are why I knit for the babies around me.

12 comments:

TinkerTots said...

I sincerely believe the very best "Thank You" for a baby knit is said baby in said knit item.

ADORABLE! SQUEEE!!!!

Rose Red said...

Sweet baby! Sweet garment! Perfect match!

Donna Lee said...

She does the sweater more justice than Mr. Paddington Bear (although he IS cute).

essjay said...

So adorable! I too love to get shots of the baby in what I've made them!!

Mistrmi said...

Beautiful. And I'm sure Paddington would agree.

Chandler said...

Look at those little hands! That lovely red lacy business sets them off beautifully.

Bells said...

and you do such a beautiful job. That's one of my favourites of yours, right there!

knitseashore said...

I'm so glad that you received the photo and the wee girl is wearing her new sweater! That is the loveliest thank you.

Alwen said...

That makes it all worthwhile. (Nice buttons!)

Anonymous said...

sooooo cute!

Gidgetknits said...

Oh, she's a cutie in that... although Paddington does them justice too, shoulders or no shoulders!

AlisonH said...

That is absolutely delightful--baby and sweater. Ooh, can I hold the little one?...!