Monday, March 1, 2010

An Early Spring

I posted recently about The Amazing Re-Appearing Crocuses in my front garden. I was so amazed by them, and I know that seeing them come up again after all that time was a major turning point for me after a winter that seemed to sap my strength at every turn.

Unfortunately, late sunrises, early sunsets and rainy weekends meant that I never managed to get a decent photo to share with you. The blossoms were yellow and tiny, and they made me smile every time I saw them.

We’re have an extremely early spring in my part of the world, due to the same El NiƱo weather system which wreaked a certain amount of havoc on the Winter Olympics in Vancouver B.C. Trees, bushes and bulbs are bursting into new life much sooner than we’re used to seeing them.

Take this camellia bush, for instance:

Camelia2010-01

It’s absolutely covered in blossoms, with more buds ready to go. Camellias always fool me into thinking the roses are blooming, but they have a magic all their own.

I might have missed pictures of the yellow crocuses, but I got these yellow flowers instead:

Daffies2010-01

This is their first year in their new home, transplanted there last fall from various other places. I swear they sprang to life nearly overnight.

Finally, my Grape Hyacinth is coming on strong:

Hyacinth2010-01

They’re just starting out now, but by the end of the week there should be so many blossoms open that it will look like a piece of the sky came down to rest on the garden.

Knitting (and the search for the fugitive sock yarn) continues. I’ve got three lace shawls on the needles, and have also started the Geodesic Cardigan from the latest Knitscene. Pictures coming soon!

15 comments:

iKate said...

Oh, WOW, Anree! Your flowers (especially those camelias) look gorgeous!! We won't have daffodils here for at least another month, unfortunately!

Joanne said...

Thank you for the dose of spring! I needed it. You were right to tell me to pop over here--what gorgeous flowers. Delicious. Thanks so much for being part of my online community. (and yes, it is wonderful to finally have some sort of community in person, too. Such a relief.)

Now, I have a little news for you. I happen to have a skein of that sock yarn, in that color. At least I think so, it looks remarkably like your skein..we'd have to check dyelot if you are worried about such things. So, if you give up on your search, let me know...this is what friends are for. Happy to pass it along if necessary.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Spring has sprung! Your Camelia bush is looking fantastic, not to detract from your beautiful bulbs.

Looking forward to seeing your Geodesic! And the other shawls. Did I miss the finishing of the red monster?

Julie R. said...

Wonderful! Your pictures give me hope that spring really is going to get here one of these days! Thanks, Anree!

Unknown said...

Sorry to miss you at knitting. I am glad that you are enjoying your early spring flowers though!
Miriam

Rose Red said...

Oh, beautiful camelias! Just perfect, aren't they.

Anna said...

I can't decide if posting those pictures for us was nice of you or just mean...

Jealous!

Donna Lee said...

How nice to see the spots of color. I noticed my hyacinths are poking their heads up through the snow. I hope they don't change their mind and go back under! Everything here is still grey and white. I am sooooo ready for spring

Alwen said...

I should take a picture of the snowpile that is covering some of my crocuses! At least it would be a sunny picture today.

essjay said...

SO LOVELY! I typically don't like to post that I'm jealous, but I just have to say how jealous I am!! At this point I just want to see the grass in my front yard, even if it is brown. I haven't see the lawn since December 2nd. I cannot wait until Spring shows up in Des Moines but I'm thrilled that it has shown up in Oregon!

janel said...

over here in my garden I'm seeing cherry trees?? blooming and my tulips are growing about an inch a day! now that i see your Camellia, I want a Camellia for my garden too. I'll have to look into getting one of those.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so jealous! We have snow all over the place still. I won't see daffodils for awhile either, so I'll just enjoy yours until then. Again, jealous, but so thankful you shared your beauties!

AlisonH said...

They're so beautiful! And there is nothing more cheerful than a daffodil.

Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty, yet I do love the little bits of snow we're getting here.

Chandler said...

I am so in love with camellias! Those waxy petals are just heavenly. And I'm sure the organizers of our local Daffodil Parade are happy about the early spring.

Lovely photos.