Monday, August 31, 2009

Lace, At Last

Finally finally finally, I got to start the second project for Year of Lace 2009.

I’m using this yarn:

ZGTyrian-02

Zen Yarn Garden Sea Lace, 70% superwash merino and 30% SeaCell in a color called Tyrian.

Ohhhh, but this is just lovely stuff!

ZGTyrian-02

I had a certain amount of difficulty getting it wound off into a cake. It flew right off of the ball winder, and then I had a lovely [NOT] batch of tangles. I prevailed in the end, thankfully without having to resort to the dreaded scissors.

The finished project should look like this:

Photobucket

Right now, it looks like this:

WG-01

This is after knitting 90 rows. It’s growing by four stitches on every right side row, and I think that soon I’ll move it onto a 32-inch needle. When all the back-and-forth knitting is done, I’ll be executing my first knitted-on border.

WG-02

This is a very nice project, restful without being boring, detail oriented without being fiddly. Non-lace knitters may find it hard to believe, but once you get into the rhythm of lace it just flows along. Just like socks or sweaters or washcloths.

All that, and I get something lovely to wrap myself in at the end. What could be better?

11 comments:

m1k1 said...

What a stunning colour. I will look forward to seeing your finished shawl. Is the wool/tencel blend good to knit with? I've not tried any, yet.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, that's gonna be gorgeous! What a pretty pattern. :yay:

Bells said...

Will you look at that? My goodness. It's going to be perfection.

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Can't wait to see this as an FO!

Rose Red said...

Looks gorgeous. But oh, tangled laceweight - I think that is my worst knitting nightmare!

Donna Lee said...

I am in love with the color (Roxanne has a genius for color). I am not very patient with the tangles. If one of my family members (who have way more patience than I) are not around and I can't wait for them, I pick up the scissors. Funny thing is, I am very patient with people-just not yarn knots.

Alison said...

That yarn looks so soft and lovely!

MadMad said...

Oooooh, it's pretty! LOVE that yarn! And WHY does lace weight always, always, always bunch up and knot? I woulda thought sea cell would have helped things slide along a little better... Darn!

Alwen said...

I had that with some tussah silk I was winding off a damaged cone - got about yea big and flew right off the ballwinder! Wahoo!

Sarah said...

Oh that should be bee-yoo-tiful

Chandler said...

I love, *love* that color! So cozy for fall!