Monday, June 29, 2009

Sensory Overload

Ah, Black Sheep Gathering, how I adore it. I look forward to it every year; honestly, it’s better than Christmas and nearly as good as my birthday.

There are so many things to see, so many incredible colors and textures, so many people and so much laughter. It’s a great place to meet people, especially if you play Black Sheep Bingo. I’ve played as both a player and a square for the past two years, and even though I’ve never gotten a bingo on my card, getting the chance to connect with so many people is great fun, not to mention a very good exercise for an introvert. I feel a little bad about forgetting to put their button on my blog this year, but I resolve to do better next year!

I spent quite a bit of time in the livestock barns this year, meeting lots of fiber on the hoof and telling all the animals how beautiful they are. I mean really, how can you look at a pen full of baby angora goats and not have your heart melt?

YoungAngora

Not that the adults give anything away in the cuteness department…

OlderAngora

This sign in the SuDan Farm area made me smile.

SuDanFarm

These wee babies are just a week old and were some of the stars of the barn.

DairyKids

They’re dairy kids who were brought to the show because they were being bottle-fed… I really wanted to take one home with me; I just couldn’t come up with a way to convince my husband it was a good idea.

On Sunday I got a chance to get up close and personal with the winners in the Fiber Arts Show. Goodness, all the creativity and skill on display were inspiring.

This is one of my particular favorites

FeltedMonkey

I swear my hair looks just like that some mornings… it’s uncanny how the artist knew that!

The Black Sheep Cup is given to the best overall entry in the adult divisions, and this year’s winner just knocked me out.

BlackSheepCup-01
Back

BlackSheepCup-02
Side

BlackSheepCup-03
Front

That’s 2-ply handspun silk, knitted up into a shawl designed by the crafter. It’s got the most amazing drape and shine, and the attention to detail is astonishing.

For just a few minutes I felt inadequate for using machine-milled yarn and other people’s patterns for my projects. Then I reminded myself that four years ago I didn’t know a yarn-over from a hole in the wall, and I felt better.

It was a marvelous three days, and I’m looking forward to doing it all again next year, even though it took me a few days to recover from the sensory overload.

If you find yourself in this part of the world next June, I would strongly recommend you come see it all for yourself, and look me up in the process. I’ll be the one with the camera in my hand and two shopping bags over my shoulders. I’ll be sporting a goofy grin, and I’ll be babbling about all the wonderful yarn and all the beautiful animals. I shouldn’t be hard to spot at all.

Next Up: Show-And-Tell of what followed me home from Black Sheep Gathering. Even though I didn’t bring home a dairy kid, I still got some amazing things!

11 comments:

m1k1 said...

ooh ooh ooh show and tell.
i'll just sit here patiently waiting for it. ...
is it here yet? is it here yet?
- sounds like you had a great time.

iKate said...

THE SHEEP! So ridiculously adorable. Can't wait to see your haul from the weekend! :)

Diet Coke Mom said...

I'm sure this is where Heaven is...so amazing

Bells said...

Gosh isn't that just stunning, the most lovely looking piece of lace. Thanks so much for showing it.

Donna Lee said...

What a beautiful piece of lace. It makes my pitiful efforts pale in comparison but, as you said, it was not too many years ago that I couldn't tell a dpn from a circ.

The babies looks cuddly and soft. Future sweaters on four legs.

Alwen said...

I love fiber shows. That shawl is gorgeous!

marycatharine said...

That shawl looks incredible! I can't wait to see your new stash additions.

Rose Red said...

Wow - the shawl is amazing, and the animals are TOO CUTE! Look forward to seeing what you brought home with you!

Chandler said...

As a lamb-eatin' knitter, I agree with the coyotes (sorry, lambies).

Hope I can make it down next year!

TinkingBell said...

oooh - looks like so much fun! and gorgeous animals too - loved the sign..

Kathleen Taylor said...

Some day I am going to go to Black Sheep. I should apply to teach a workshop (if they have room next year).

The most beautiful romney fleece I ever owned came from a Black Sheep exhibitor (Iron Water Ranch). It was so gorgeous that I didn't want to spin it- I just wanted to look at it.

The handspun shawl is breathtaking!