Saturday, June 7, 2008

Stash Dive

When you promise to send someone random sock yarn from your stash, you eventually realize you’re going to have to haul out all of your sock yarn and take a good look at it.

Spread it out on the bed and realize that there’s quite a bit more of it than you thought...

Photobucket

Ravelry’s all very well and good for getting an idea about your stash, but if you really need to know how much sock yarn you’ve got, try this.

Photobucket

Get nose to nose with your sock yarn, and try not to think about how many miles of it there might be.

Photobucket

It’s lovely stuff, but I must admit that it surprises me. It’s not that I don’t recall buying it or something like that. It’s more that I had no idea I’d actually bought quite this much of it. It’s hard to hide from when you spread it all out on the bed though. I’ve got a lot of socks to knit, that’s all there is to it. When I brought my husband to look at it all he said was, “You know you’ve got holes in all your socks, right?” I told him I’m knitting as fast as I can.

Some of my sock yarn is fairly easy to lay one’s hands on, like the three balls of Tofutsies, or the Lana Grossa.

Photobucket

Some of the colors are quiet and muted:

Photobucket

Some of the yarn has silver spun into it:

Photobucket

Some of it is precious because it was part of a gift:

Photobucket

While some of it is precious because it was hand dyed by a dear friend:

Photobucket

Somewhere in here is some random sock yarn for a friend... it shouldn’t take me more than a few days to find it!

8 comments:

Anna said...

Maybe you need more contests so you can dig some more in your stash? ;)

Hope you're doing well!

:kram:

Unknown said...

Squeeeeeee!

I discovered I have enough sock yarn to knit about 39 pairs of socks .... do I actually need that many socks???? That doesn't count the 12 pairs I have already knit up!!

Geek Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geek Knitter said...

I deleted my last because sometimes I can't spell...

Manders, you should update your count to 40, because I shipped your package today! I hope I picked one you like...

Kyle William said...

gasp! my sock knitting machine would have a heyday with all that sock yarn... I did my airing of the stash ONCE and I don't know if I can ever do it again... (unless it was part of an elaborate ploy to trick everyone into believing that I had gone through *most* of my stash by only taking out a bag or two and attempting to convince them that that's ALL the yarn I have) -

impressive... :)

essjay said...

I can't not believe how much sock yarn you have! I'm terrified to count my sock yarn - it is hard enough to admit how much yarn I have let alone break it down!

You do have some lovely yarns darling! ;)

Anonymous said...

Knowing that this represents just a part of the totality of your yarn stash, I understand why you no longer give me any razzing about my fabric stash!
Keep stashing and enjoying!

laura

Eikon said...

Oh you are an example of the dark side that I should avoid. Must not buy Noro Sock yarn : )