Friday, May 4, 2007

More about me...

Quite often lately I find myself more at home at a keyboard than just about anywhere else. It’s odd, I didn’t set out to be a computer person, it honestly just happened.

I got a job working at a computer lab while I was in community college, and I carried on with it when I transferred to university. I was studying History and French, planning on grad school and a life in academe. Computers were just something I did, they weren’t what I was.

At some point I realized that going to grad school probably wasn’t in the cards. I like being a student, but some of the political shit just made me want to explode. I didn’t think I wanted to put up with 4-6 more years of it as a grad student. Not to mention the impossible job market for associate professors of history straight out of grad school.

There was still this computer thing though. I had a new supervisor who turned into a mentor. He started showing me more about how the systems worked, about the underlying logics and rules. Before I knew it, I was hooked.

I still study history; I still read Albert Camus, Assia Djebar, Marguerite Duras and Marguerite Yourcenar. It’s a big part of my life, and I’m thinking about taking some night classes just to keep my French skills from completely disappearing. But apparently I’m a computer person now, and I like it.

No comments: